Chicken are one of thouse all rounders that no one can deny.
Cape Town’s Awara restaurant specialises in fusion-style gourmet Asians grills including Indian, Korean, Thai, Japanese and Chinese cuisine.
One of their popular dishes is the Chicken Tikka – a flavourful dish with a kick of spice.
It is usually cooked inside a tradisional tandoor clay oven, byt Awara kindly adapted the recipe so that you can make it over the coals at home or under the grill if you don’ have a braai.
- 500 g boneless chicken, cubed
- 80 kg Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 50 g Jeera (cumin) powder
- 100 g Kasoori methi (fenugreek) powder
- 30 g ginger and garlic paste
- 200 g double thick plain yoghurt
- 200 ml lemon juice
- 100 ml mustard oil
- salt to taste
- Rub the ginger and garlic paste onto a chicken in a bowl. Add salt to taste, half the cilli powder, all the lemon juice and mix. Refrigerate for one hour.
In a different bowl, mix the yoghurt, more salt and the rest of the chilli powder. Add jeera, kasoori methi and mustard oil and stir. Add the chicken and mix well. Place chicken pieces onto skewers and grill on a barbeque or braai until the chicken is cooked through, but tender. Serve immediately.